Creative Problem Solving for the 21st Century
- Courses focus on learning computer science concepts through inquiry and projects.
- Themes and practices include the creative nature of computing, problem-solving using technology as a tool, and seeing the relevance and impact of computer science.
- Students in CSA take their Computer Science class and their English class together with the same students. The teachers work to build projects and skills across the curriculum – together we form a small learning community.
- College and career skills are built into the courses to prepare students for higher education and future work as computing professionals.
Why Computer Science?
• Computational thinking is important across ALL subjects, not just computer science.
• More than 50 percent of all math and science jobs are for computer scientists.
• Computer science jobs are the highest-paying jobs for new graduates.
• Computing jobs are growing 3 times faster than the number of computer science graduates.
• AOIT field trips to local universities, tech companies, game companies, and hackerspaces.
• Guest speakers from the tech industry to talk about various subfields within computer science.
• Internships and summer opportunities with local companies.
• Information and communication technologies is the fastest growing job sector in San Francisco.
• You can create cool mobile apps, games, and other software that have an impact on society.
Exploring Computer Science (10th Grade)
• Computers and the Internet
• Societal impacts of computing
• Algorithms and abstraction
• Connections between Math and Computer Science
• Models of Intelligent Behavior
• Web page design and development
• Data and Information
Intro to Computer Programming (11th Grade)
• Fundamental computer programming concepts and skills
• Computer programming from practical perspective
• App Inventor for Mobile App Design
• Python programming language
• User Interface Design
• Game Programming
• Design Cycle
• Creative Computing
• Problem-solving, problem analysis, and algorithm design
• Debugging and testing
• Professional norms of the software development industry
• Career opportunities in programming
Advanced Placement Computer Science A (12th Grade)
• Java Programming Language
• Object-Oriented Program Design
• Program Implementation
• Program Analysis
• Standard Data Structures
• Standard Algorithms
• Computing in Context
Courses in CSA Cohort
English 2 (CSA)
American Literature (CSA)
English/European Literature (CSA)
Exploring Computer Science (CSA)
Intro to Programming (CSA)
AP Computer Science A (CSA)